- Kibo Africa introduces the Kibo 160E Evolution motorcycle in Kenya
- EN1 is transforming Africa's automotive landscape with a solar car
- Hitachi and Roam collaborate to electrify African transportation
- Africa, the ideal location to manufacture electric vehicle batteries
- Treepz, a Nigerian vehicle rental firm, expands into Kenya
- Kenyan mobility startup eWAKA has received $540,000 in funding
- Toyota intends to produce electric vehicles in South Africa
- KenGen plans to acquire more EVs and build power stations
- Kenya's electric motorcycle drive is boosted by battery swapping
- Electric tricycles from Mobility for Africa receive $2m from Infraco
Africa, the ideal location to manufacture electric vehicle batteries
According to Akinwumi Adesina, president of the African Development Bank Group (AfDB), Africa is the ideal location for manufacturing batteries for electric vehicles.
Speaking at the German government's Berlin Energy Transition Forum, Adesina stated that Africa has huge quantities of cobalt, manganese, and platinum that may be exploited to establish a vibrant manufacturing sector rather than being exported as raw materials.
"Africa is an important source of minerals and metals for clean energy value chains including electric cars and utility-scale battery storage. Africa is thus the ideal location for the production of lithium-ion batteries to power German automobiles," he stated.
The AfDB president said there was an urgent need to reduce the world’s dependence on fossil fuels and harness Africa’s renewable energy sources.
He urged Germany to make investments in an African future that is cleaner, happier, and more wealthy, claiming that the continent has the potential to become a worldwide leader in sustainable development.
"As in Germany and throughout Europe, Africa needs time to shift and access to its natural gas resources as a transition fuel. Thus, a vital component of the energy mix for ensuring supply security and essential for Africa is natural gas, he continued.
Posted on : 07 Jun,2023 | News Source : afrqz.co